Saturday, December 09, 2006

Too Much Monkey Business!


Yesterday, three stops, one concert, a whole lot of good stuff.

1: Newbury Comics. I'm at this stupid chain store (music, movies, and a whole lot of Massachusetts ultra-liberal 'tude) to buy a fun Secret Santa gift. I am drawn by neon stickies "8.99!" and "9.99!" (...and "USED") sprinkled throughout the CD section.
Booty: Elliott Smith "XO" and Squirrel Nut Zippers "Perennial Favorites." Hooray for sweet packaging. Total (less fun Secret Santa gift): $20.

2: In Your Ear. On a "just bought stuff" high, I go down to the musty old basement that is the In Your Ear "Records Tapes Bought and Sold" store. Lots of dusty old things. More neon signs. I take another adventure into a jungle of cheap stuff by artists I recognize. Last time, I ended up with a record by Andy Stochansky that was so bad I almost threw it out of the car the first time I heard it. So bad. Hope I fare better.
Booty: Leah Andreone "Veiled" (this is a surprise for my roommate, who loves Leah Andreone, a tortured angry chick who happens to be from San Diego). The (International) Noise Conspiracy "Armed Love". Remy Zero Promo EP. Total:$15.

3: Tower Records
. The neon signs outside this one have been changing for months: "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE," "EVERYTHING MUST GO," "10 MORE DAYS!" I stop inside. It's very sad. Tall piles of CDs no one is going to want even at 99 cents. Bad hip hop, ruins from the 90s, best of's that suck. Hopefully I can go back in a few days and see if the better CDs are even cheaper.
Booty: Fugees "No Woman, No Cry" Australian Tour EP. Elvis Presley "Elvis Sings Flaming Star." Total: $5.

4: Sanders Theater. My roommate sings with the Harvard Radcliffe Collegium Musicum.
Booty: They sing Josquin des Prez, contemporary composers Donald Martino and Lorten Lauridsen, Brahms, and Bach. My soul expands. This stuff is beautiful even if you hate music and happiness and all of humanity.

Summary: So I binged. But you miss the point. The point is this: Elvis Presley is the shit. I had no idea. No joke! So good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bring me with you next time!! also i'm really glad the concert was good. i'm glad you expanded your soul. i'm really really happy about that concert! =)

Anonymous said...

ps it's "morten" lauridsen! <3