Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Who has never heard of Ray Bradbury (who's speaking here in 2 weeks)?

My roommate.

I started to tell her that she is culturally illiterate, but I decided that would probably be insensitive of me. WHO hasn't heard of Ray Bradbury? The same people who deny the holocaust happened and scoff at Shakespeare. And it's these very people that i'm catering to when I write my news stories at a fifth grade reading level, because these people don't know how to read either. I've been writing these stories for years, but I never thought the ignorant public really existed.

I'm not saying that my roommate doesn't know how to read, denies the holocaust, and scoffs at Shakespeare...but HOW is it possible that she has NEVER heard of The Martian Chronicles or Fahrenheit 451?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait Shakespeare was that guy who directed that Leonardo DeCaprio movie right? Someone and Juliet?

juli said...

haha, i know who ray is. he write science fiction books that i'm really not that interested in.
that's cool that he's coming to your schoo thouhgh!