Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Integration... that's an MIT thing right?


A few weeks ago, my boss/professor friended me on the Facebook. Okay, weird, but you can't refuse, right?

Yesterday, in response to my email about the flexible spider couplings arriving, he replied:

MMmmmm, spider couplings.

Spider Couplings!
Spider Couplings!
Does what ever a spider coupling does!

Spins a web? No it doesn't. It's a coupling.
Look out! Here comes the spider coupling.

(I just had my first half cup of coffee in 4 days)

Good thing I saw the Simpsons movie last night or I wouldn't have been able to come up with a properly hilarious response.

Today, he sent an email to the group with no body and the subject line: "ouch. hard drive crash. my life sucks. I blame leeann."

(For context, earlier this week my hard drive crashed for the second time this summer. Dell, I hate you. I hate you so much.)

Generally, I would say it's a bad thing when your boss/professor blames the suckiness of his life on you, but I think this may just be a sign that I'm finally being integrated into the group. The Harvard jokes have decreased drastically, and I proved myself a few weeks ago by helping lift the 135-lb. battery we got for the kayak. I may not be an engineer, but perhaps I can find a niche at MIT as resident book-appreciator and weight lifter.

(Oh, and for more context, his fiancee was my tutorial leader this past semester and he basically took me upon her recommendation. And he went to UCSD for his MFA. And his father was one of the leading scientists in the positive psychology movement, and wrote a book that my other boss at Harvard adores and gave to me as recommended reading.)


No comments: