Saturday, March 11, 2006

Love and Other Indoor Sports (Injuries)


Just as it's hard for me to diagnose, on a scale of 1 - 10, how bad my ankle feels, I find it's similarly hard for me to know how I feel about friend on friend action. That is, what to think when good friend XX pounces good friend XY; individually, I adore XX and XY, and think, well, together they will just be more to adore!

However the burden of experience makes it hard to be so lighthearted. Though together it is twice as sweet, the ending can accordingly be twice as bitter. Tiptoeing and sidestepping through broken relationships takes a toll on the soul, admittedly in a different way from the soul that's been broken. And while I usually can't bring myself ever to blame friends, I suppose when they're hurting other friends, I have to draw a line.

Kids, don't play games with each other, only sports. I can stand watching people limp off the field, but it's much harder to witness tearful phone calls, holes in walls and endless empty pints of Ben & Jerry's. I ain't got aircasts for broken hearts.

1 comment:

Ray said...

i'm really starting to enjoy the images that are accompanying your posts these days. it reminds me of the children's novels i used to read, where under the chapter number there'd be a small illustration of some scene from within the chapter. those were the days, especially for those of us who still felt that books could, in fact, be judged by their covers. sometimes, books were simply too taxing on the imagination and we demanded that some level of visual projection to be done for us. i mean, hey buddy, if you're going to be trying to compete with television, you better bring out the big guns, i'm talking illustrations, big print, the works. i don't have time to waste, i'm trying to read my second time around the world here.