Friday, October 14, 2005

For the first year ever i'm not looking foward to my birthday. Not because i'm turning 20, old, and that's a bit scary, but because i'm expecting too much. As a 20-year-old, I feel like I should have a semi-perfect, well-put-together life and be sure about my friends, the guy i'm dating, my career path, my living situation, my classes, and the place I decide to spend the special day, but i'm just not. I'm fighting the urge to forget about everything and run home to my mommy and daddy this weekend and spend a reliable birthday in the bosom of my family. Instead, i'm going on a retreat. I'll be in nature which is perfect, but there's also nowhere to run and nowhere to hide should I find myself unsatisfied. A Saturday birthday has the potential to be amazing...it also has the potential to be much less. Happy 20th?

3 comments:

leeann said...

Are you going on Jews in the Woods? My roommates are doing that.

Debbie said...

Twenty was old twenty years ago. Now, thirty is the new twenty and this generation's twenty's still have every right to just NOT know everything. I don't think there is any harm in crawling back to good ol' mom and dad once in a while and asking for help/advise/comfort. Celebrate :-)

Me! said...

I like the name Jews in the Woods.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with going back to the 'rents. I'm acutally gonna go next weekend after I hold my own thing up here. Independence, like complete independence, it overrated, esp. since 20 ain't THAT old.

And, HAPPY B-DAY! Expect a voicemail from me, since I see that you're gonna be in the woods.