Saturday, September 03, 2005

A girl messaged me on facebook the other day. A freshman who is going to be living in the same room as I did last year. She sounded really enthusiastic about getting to UCLA ASAP, the message contained a lot of exclamation marks and her greeting and closing contained multiple syllables. "Hiiiiiiiiiieeeee Jen!!! I'm living in your old room next year!!! I can't wait to start up at school!! I hope to see you on campus!!! Byeeeeeeee!!!!!!" She proceeded to request me as a friend on facebook. It made me remember how restless I felt right before I left for school; I couldn't wait to shed myself from these people I called my friends and meet the people I was really meant to be friends with. Now don't think me heartless, I know most of my friends were thinking the exact same thing. And yet here I am, still in touch with most of my close friends from high school, still holding them closest to my heart, perhaps even closer than before. I thought that in going to college I was going to magically become a newer, better person with a completely new life, just like this girl seems to be thinking. I've realized that college is not this magical light at the end of the high school tunnel, but another stage of development; a stage which, like eveything else that involves change, is gradual. Also, perhaps more importantly, I've learned to make new friends, but keep the old still, cause it's the ones that stick around that are the most valuable.

Anyways, do I add this girl or not? It's like this choice between feeling weird and feeling mean.

P.S. Are we getting spam comments? Or are these actually real people?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

spam. turn on word verification to stop them. i hate them, too.

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY BE HERE FRIEND.
IS SHE HOT?
GIVE HER MY NUMBER.
-STEVEN JAMES CARNE.

P.S.
I'M A NERD

Me! said...

are you drunk too?

Anonymous said...

I only know one person who would post on this blog who knows my middle name. I won't point fingers but his middle name rythms with Juggless. And Jen are you seriously gullible enough to buy that I would post that, since when do I sign any of my posts.

Anonymous said...

So the other day me, my mom, dad, sister, and nephew walked into a talent agents office...

-ERIC DOUGLAS FRANK

P.S.
I AM HOMOSEXUAL

Me! said...

haha, whoops, sorry steve. you're right, i should have known better... my cheeks are red with embarrassment. btw, you should use something else to rhymes with douglas, cause juggless looks like it should be pronounced "juggle" and then you add an "s" at the end.

juli said...

lol- I agree with Jen, juggless took me a while to figure out how i was supposed to pronounce it =D

Anonymous said...

My bad I'll change that in the future and Jen I do type in caps when I'm drunk so I can see where that would throw you.