Monday, September 20, 2004

Yo biz.

It is a wonderful world.

2-4-6 days (do you remember, my dear graduates, the days when you classified your days by numbers odd and even? now, I suppose you have odd days even without classes.) are the worst. My mornings are dominated by short men preaching without really knowing (or so it seems) and my afternoons inundated with ... I don't know how else to put it, really bad big band jazz. And Mrs. Willcox (the music director) reminds me of the beast in "Beauty and the Beast." But only because of her very distinct nose. That's really the only reason. I'll post a picture sometime.

I'm reading about how Americans will more readily support rules, regulations and impersonality than will the Japanese. The Japanese, this book asserts, invest more in sensitivity towards others' needs, reaching decision through discussion rather than through a rude and rigid set of rules. This idea contradicted with one that had already been sitting in my head. The ideas fought awhile up there in the cavernous cavity (that's redundant, isn't it?) of my cabeza and then sat down to look at each other a good long while. Americans encourage distrust (damn the judeo-christian faith) and impersonality, but aren't the Japanese the ones going around killing each other with baseball bats because of all their pent up feelings?

I never want to be a native again; I think I want to study abroad all my life.

5 comments:

leeann said...

um. sorry. I'm so wired right now.

juli said...

I don't think you're allowed to comment on your own posts ;)
That's so weird that you mention 2-4-6 days because I was just thinking about block schedules today and how I loooove college. You're almost there! (kinda)

lindsey said...

JULI, SHE HAS MR MONTY FOR GOV!!

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

juli said...

Ewww, unless you have a really good friend or two in the class, it's a bad thing

leeann said...

he has this little growth on his left eyelid that really bothers me.

(I point this out only because if I really started listing things about him that I didn't like, it would make class tomorrow that much worse.)